A new favorite one pan dinner — asparagus and black bean burgers!
🍔 Black beans are SUPER healthy; they have tons of fiber and protein to fill you up, folate, potassium, and vitamin B6, and eating lots of legumes 🥜 can decrease your cholesterol and blood pressure as well as lower your risk of heart disease 💓 and cancer! Plus this burger is damn delicious. I call that a win-win.
- 1 can black beans drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (can use lentils or mushrooms instead)
- 1/2 – 1 cup breadcrumbs (can use whole oats here instead)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil (or vegetable or coconut)
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs – parsley, cilantro, chives
- Spices to taste – I used dried onion, garlic salt, cayenne, & ~2 tbsp McCormick steak spice mix
Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse. Add a bit more breadcrumbs for drier texture, olive oil a few drops at a time to make it more moist.
Step 2: Shape into 4 large patties (they will not shrink when cooked as meat patties do) and place on oven safe pan with your choice of veggies drizzled with olive oil. Asparagus, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, zucchini, beets, green beans, all good choices.
Step 3: Roast at 350 , covered in foil, for 20 minutes. Uncover and roast another 20 minutes. Flip patties and roast a final 5-10 minutes, until veggies are tender. Patties should be slightly crispy on the outside.
Top as desired. I suggest fresh lettuce & tomato, whole grain mustard, and purple sauerkraut!